The Centre for development of the South – East planning region is one of the 8 centres in Republic of North Macedonia, formed in accordance with the law of Balanced Regional Development. It consists of 10 municipalities in the region and extends across a 2835 km2 area with a population of 171 416 inhabitants.
Planning for regional development in the South – East represents one of the fundamental steps towards fulfilling the mission of the regional centre for development. In addition, the centre for regional development in the South-East region marks the beginning of the process for identification, promotion, management and utilizing developmental potentials of the South – East planning region.
The policy of regional development of the South – East region is a system of objectives, instruments and measures aimed to reduce regional disparities and achieve balanced and sustainable regional development. This will be accomplished through: increasing cooperation among planning regions by capacity building, optimizing and valorizating natural wealth, human capital and economic characteristics of the different regions, conserving, developing and promoting the special identity of planning regions, revitalizing the villages, developing areas with the specific needs, supporting inter-municipal and cross-boarder cooperation of local self-government units to promote balanced regional development and increase the quality of life for the citizens in the region.
The Centre for development of the planning region shall perform the following tasks:
- Prepare the proposed program for development of the planning region
- Prepare the proposed action plan for implementation of the program for development of the planning region
- Prepare project proposal for development of the planning region and for the areas with special development needs
- Coordinate the activities related with implementation of the program for development of the planning region and realize the projects for development of the planning region
- Provide information to all stakeholders for the realization of program for development of the planning region and other issues related to regional development
- Provide professional and technical assistance to the local self government units for preparing development programs
- Provide professional services to the Associations for citizens and other stakeholders for preparating projects related to regional development
- јPromote inter municipal cooperation in the frame of planning development
- Implement project for promoting development of the planning region, financed by EU funds and other international sources
- Promote developmental potentials of the planning region
- Provide professional, administrative and technical tasks for the needs of the Council for development of the planning region.
The council of the planning region
Each planning regions has its own established Council. The members of the Council for development of the planning region are the Mayors from the local governments within the region.
The president of the Council for development is elected from among the members of the Council for a two year term with the right for re-election.
The Council for development collaborates with regional field development experts, representatives from chamber of commerce, unions, associations, associations of citizens and relevant partners from private and civil sectors.
The functions of the Council for development of the planning region are:
- Organizing and coordinating the activities for monitoring and implementation of the planning documents for regional development
- Adopting the program for development of the planning region after prior approval by the Council for balanced regional development,
- Аdopting the annual action plan for implementation of the Program for development of the planning region
- Deliver the proposals to the Bureau for regional development to identify areas with specific development needs within the regional frame, according to the criteria of Article 7 of this Law
- Ensure coordination of the activities of the units of Local government, citizen associations, state agencies and institutions in the regional frame in the area of regional development
- Initiate consideration of issues related with regional development, between the units of local government and partners from private and civil sectors
- Promotion of cross – border cooperation with regions from other countries on the basis of common interests and
- Performs other duties in the field of regional development established by law.
The members of the Council of the South – East planning region are the Mayors of the 10 Municipalities in the region: